Blaming the victim (the Linnaean System)

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 7 04:47:45 CST 2003

Dear Fred and others,
      My view is that strict cladism started travelling down a certain road
back in the 1970's (centered at the AMNH Ivory Tower) with an unrealistic
and utopian vision that the best "classification" approach was a Hennigian
system of nested subsets that really had no upper limits to constrain the
numbers of those subsets.  I have to admit that I was initially attracted to
this approach, at least before I looked at its philosophical underpinnings
and future consequences more carefully.
      The real problem with this cul-de-sac is that the reality of paraphyly
is both denied and worse yet forbidden.  Even Hennig himself realized that
cladistic analysis was based on the illusion that sister groups are "real".
It's a convenient and generally workable methodological assumption for most
cladistic analyses, but it has been a disaster when converted into purely
cladistic classifications.  Funded and encouraged by like-minded government
officials, this movement has taken on the typical American steam-roller
approach that effectively starves the competition and shoves its mandate
down everyone's throat.
     There is no credible philosophical or scientific reason to believe that
species (and the higher taxa they give rise to) are not real paraphyletic
entities.  That paraphyly is unreal or unnatural is simply an illogical
extension of a Hennigian methodology for cladistic analysis, and the result
is that people like Peter Ashlock were harshly and unjustifiably criticized
for resisting a movement down such a path that would inevitably lead to the
mess we have today.
     Ultimately strict cladism will suffer a series of embarrassing
failures, and my main concern is that it will not only reflect badly on more
moderate cladistic classification approaches (such as my own or Kent
Carpenter's), but will severely damage the potential for improved cladistic
analytic methodologies (which is where the Hennigian approach can make its
most long-lasting contributions).
     I have already predicted where some of these major failures will occur.
  Lophotrochosa could easily be ten times more paraphyletic than Reptilia,
and such a  level of paraphyly is more than worthless, it's very damaging.
And look for bacterial phylogenies and Three Domain Trees to be shaken and
then rerooted, beginning with the release of the Gloeobacter genome this
year (I've been anxiously awaiting that for several years now).  Cladistic
analyses for Mollusca may have to be totally redone (and oddly enough, it is
molecular evidence that have been ignored and "explained away" on that
front).  And the theropod to bird transition is so racked with homoplastic
uncertainty and backtracking that dinosaurology is still vulnerable in this
area as well (although thankfully it is a discipline a little more disposed
to correct its errors quickly and then push forward).   Will I have a better
prediction rate than Croizat---- only time will tell.  But I still think
some panbiogeographers ignore the importance of Antarctica at their peril,
and are overly concerned by the fear of circular reasoning.  Circular
reasoning is far more problematic in other areas (where it is
underestimated, rather than overestimated).
     As I have said before, zoology is going to suffer the most severe
repercussions of the unfortunate experiment in strict cladism.  PhyloCode,
which is even opposed by many prominent cladists, is hopefully DOA.  And
hopefully sooner (rather than later) we will finally abandon this
cul-de-sac, and get back to that "road less travelled", which has been much
ostracized for over 30 years now.  Botany has taken a road somewhat in
between and has far less backtracking to do.  Good for them!
              ------ Ken Kinman
P.S.  Fred, I think the non-expert should continue to be aware that Class
Insecta is within Phylum Arthropoda.  Most insect-mimics seem to be
chelicerates, and some chelicerate-mimics are insects.  And the inevitable
conclusion that insects are just the biggest group of terrestrial crustacean
descendants is becoming more and more apparent all the time.  Linnaeus just
doesn't get the credit he deserves these days, especially when one considers
the times in which he lived.  That his Insecta was later restricted in scope
does nothing to detract from his ability to discern natural groups at a very
earlier date.  We stand on his shoulders and should not be stabbing him in
the back as many strict cladists have been inclined to do.