Blaming the victim (the Linnaean Method)

Dipteryx dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Fri Feb 7 07:36:55 CST 2003

Higher ranks are pretty much information-less.

As a botanist I am quite familiar with Angiosperms, but if asked if these
were the Magnoliopsida or the Magnoliophyta I would need to take a few
minutes (and perhaps a book). These names are likely to change anyway.

Ginkgo biloba is a species. It is also a genus, a family and any number of
taxa at higher ranks. All equally meaningless (for practical purposes).
Paul van Rijckevorsel
Utrecht, NL

----- Original Message -----
From: Kipling Will <kiplingw at NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU>
To: <TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: Blaming the victim (the Linnaean System)

Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:46:43 -0700
Sender:       Taxacom Discussion List <TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG>
From:         Wayne Maddison <wmaddisn at U.ARIZONA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Disappearance

Along similar themes, you might find the following interesting:

Wilson EO. 1985. The biological diversity crisis: A challenge to science.
Issues in Science and Technology 2: 20-29.
-- explains the value of exploring biological diversity; notes that
whenever an interesting phenomenon is discovered by a systematist or
organism-focused researcher, its study is usually taken over by a
question-oriented biologist, whose field then gets sole credit for
the progress in our understanding.

Futuyma, DJ 1998. Wherefore and whither the naturalist? American
Naturalist. 151:1-6.
-- discusses the value of natural history and organism-centered research.

Maddison, W.P.  1996. Molecular approaches and the growth of
phylogenetic biology.  In:  Molecular zoology: Advances, strategies,
and protocols (J.D. Ferraris and S.R. Palumbi, eds.). Pages 47-63.
Wiley-Liss, New York
-- discusses how systematics per se and organism-centered research in
general may be a casualty of the apparent ease of and interest in
phylogenetic biology.

>Ken Kinman provided a source for the text of "The Disappearance" -
>  <http://biology.uoregon.edu/classes/Bi442s02/protected/disappearance.html>
>http://biology.uoregon.edu/classes/Bi442s02/protected/disappearance.html
>
>I recommend it highly to those who haven't seen it. By the way, the above is
>just a URL, not a link.

Wayne Maddison               Associate Professor
Department of Ecology        email: wmaddisn at u.arizona.edu
   and Evolutionary Biology   phone: (520) 621-7218
University of Arizona        FAX: (520) 621-9190
Tucson, AZ   85721

Mesquite: http://mesquiteproject.org
MacClade: http://macclade.org
Salticidae:  http://salticidae.org