Higher categories

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 10 14:56:50 CST 2003

Dear All,
     I pretty much agree with Don's viewpoint with one major exception
(unless I misunderstood his statement).  I cannot agree that category names
above Order are mainly for the convenience of experts (although that is what
strict cladism could cause them to become, if we let it).  Perhaps he was
referring to this unfortunate direction in which taxonomy has been drifting.
     At Class level we have formal taxa for mammals, birds, reptiles,
amphibians, star fish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, corals, jellyfish,
dicots, monocots, conifers, true ferns, horsetails, club mosses, true
mosses, diatoms, brown algae, chitons, snails, cephalopods, polychaetes,
earthworms, leeches, insects, millipedes, centipedes, trilobites, barnacles,
arachnids, and others.
     At phylum level, we have bryophytes, ferns, conifers, flowering plants,
sponges, comb jellies, cnidarians, echinoderms, chordates, molluscs,
arthropods, red algae, green algae, and even cyanobacteria (blue-green
algae).  And most biology students are acquainted with the basic five
kingdoms (prokaryotes, protists, plants, animals, and true
"fungi")----although many of those who are now being primarily taught the
Three Domains will likely be confused for a long time to come.
     Warning: this final paragraph is a rant.  The two Classes which have
been most mutilated by strict cladism (so far) are the amphibians and
reptiles, because of their obvious paraphyly, the familiarity people have
with tetrapods (and chordates in general), and herpetology is at the very
epicenter of strict cladism.  But the traditional Amphibia and Reptilia will
continue in usage in spite of attempts to "cladify" them, not only because
the cladistic "experts" can't agree among themselves on their conflicting
redefinitions, but also because it is basically elitist semantics that rubs
most people (including large numbers of scientists) the wrong way.  Pedantry
may impress in the short term, but it eventually backfires.   Scientifically
precise classifications are possible without destroying their overall
utility for everyone else.  This is particularly true of higher categories.
            ------- Ken Kinman