Darwinian biogeography

john Grehan jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Mon Feb 10 13:21:20 CST 2003

Fred wrote:

>* is this term "Darwinian biogeography" new in the present discussion,
>or have I just not noticed it before? What's the definition? Didn't
>Darwin pretty well defer to Wallace and others in the matter of
>biogeographc theory?

I don't know about the term, but in practice Darwinian biogeography has
been around as long as Darwin. Darwin wrote two chapters on biogeography in
his 'Origin'. The basis of Darwinian biogeography is the use of centers of
origin, means of dispersal, and barriers as the basis for biogeographic
analysis and interpretation. Darwinian biogeography can be applied to both
dispersalist and vicariance models (as correctly noted by Mayr). Darwinian
biogeography continues to be the dominant biogeographic practice whether or
not one is a cladist, and seems to be particularly prevalent among
molecular phylogenetisists.

John

Dr. John Grehan
Director of Science and Collections