Gondwana distributions of 'young taxa'

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 22 00:04:37 CST 2003

Steven,
      My experience is that taxa are usually older than we might think they
are.  An Oligocene (or even Eocene?) origin for Spermacoce would not
surprise me.
      As for dispersal, their salt-tolerance and ability to hop to islands
might indicate these plants or their seeds could be easily spread by ocean
currents.  Although a 1.0 mm seed might also be light enough to be blown by
strong storms over smaller ocean gaps.
      And if Antarctica was still connected to Australia at the beginning of
the Miocene, there would have been little (if any) ocean gap to traverse in
that direction.  Even today the gap between Antarctica and South America is
relatively small.  So to me Spermacoce looks like another genus in which
Antarctica probably played a central role.  I therefore wouldn't be at all
surprised if their pollen were to be found in the Oligocene of Antarctica.
           ----- Cheers,
                    Ken Kinman