Call for support letter

Agnès DETTAI adettai at MNHN.FR
Mon Feb 24 10:59:39 CST 2003

*** ONLY FOR EUROPEAN COLLEAGUES (incl. Newly Associated States, eastern
Europe, Israel and Turkey). ***

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to inform you, as a previous user of at least one of the
currently approved Major Research Infrastructures (MRIs[1]), of the
following program changes:

Under the Sixth Framework Programme (FP6) of the European Commission
(2002-2006), a proposal is in preparation to the Specific Programme on
Structuring the European Research Area. The purpose of the proposal is to
create a network of institutions that will include the current MRIs plus
other institutions (yet to be decided) holding important biological
research collections throughout Europe. The proposal, which is being
prepared in the framework of the Consortium of European Taxonomic
Facilities (CETAF), will include a program for providing access to the
participating infrastructures and if successful, will replace the current
MRI programs.

The proposal to the Specific Programme on Structuring the European Research
Area of the FP6 requests a European Research Institutionstatus . To obtain
this status the consortium needs to demonstrate (through letters of
support) that there is a high degree of scientific and/or social interest
in having access to the facilities provided by one or more of its member
institutions.

If for any future work, you or a colleague should need access to one or
more of the MRIs or institutions which are expected to become members of
the network (see attached list), we kindly request that you send a letter
of support. The letter should specify which institutions you wish to have
access to and why and, eventually, whether you need training
(techniques/taxonomic/other skills).

Enclosed is an example of a support letter which you can use as a guide, if
you find it suitable for your needs. We also ask that you spread this
information to your colleagues.

Letters of support should be sent by email, fax or letter to:
Dr. Henrik Enghoff (Chair)
Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities (CETAF)
Zoologisk Museum
Universitetsparken 15
DK-2100 Copenhaguen OE
Denmark
Email: henghoff at zmuc.ku.dk
Fax: + 45 35 32 10 10

with copy to the responsible in the concerned institution detailed below.

Thanking you in advance for your interest.
On behalf of CETAF, Sincerely
Henrik Enghoff, chair

[1] ABC (Brussels), BIODIBERIA (Madrid), COBICE (Copenhagen), COLPARSYST
(Paris), HIGH LAT (Stockholm), SYS-RESOURCE (London)

Examples
Support Letter (for Taxonomists)

Dear Dr. Enghoff,

For my research on ORDER/FAMILY/TRIBE/GROUP/GENUS X, I need access to
specimens from the REGION held in the collections of MUSEUM/HERBARIUM
<Please enter one or more relevant museums/herbaria>

These collections are especially important because REASON (well
curated/unique/diverse/type/collector etc) and because the
WORLD/EUROPEAN/COUNTRY expert(s) are working on them at this/these
institute(s).

Training on TOPIC/TECHNIQUES/OTHERSwill also be important to improve my
skills for my future research/work.

Curation of this material is particularly difficult and the
MUSEUM/HERBARIUM has curators who have expertise in LONG TERM STORAGE/PEST
CONTROL/ETC.

Support Letter (for other researchers/stakeholders)

Dear Dr. Enghoff,

For my work on TOPIC, I need to have access to MUSEUM/HERBARIUM <Please
enter one or more relevant museums/herbaria>, as the WORLD/EUROPEAN/COUNTRY
expert(s) are working at this/these institute(s).

A COLLABORATION/TRAINING with these experts is specially important for my
future work because REASON.

Please send a copy to the concerned responsible of the concerned institution.

AUSTRIA
1. Naturhistorisches Museum, Vienna Ernst Vitek : ernst.vitek at nhm-wien.ac.at
------------------------------
BELGIUM
1. Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles, Brussels ABC
2. Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren
3. National Botanic Garden of Belgium, Meise Olivier Retout:
olivier.retout at naturalsciences.be
------------------------------
GERMANY
1. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem
2. Museum für Naturkunde, Berlin Walter Lack : h.w.lack at bgbm.org
------------------------------
DENMARK
1. University of Copenhagen, COBICE Henrik Enghoff : henghoff at zmuc.ku.dk
-------------------------------
SPAIN
1. Museo Nacional Ciencias Naturales, CSIC, Madrid BIODIBERIA
2. Real Jardín Botánico, CSIC, Madrid Marian Ramos : m.ramos at mncn.csic.es
------------------------------
FRANCE
1. Muséum national d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris COLPARSYST Daniel Goujet :
goujet at mnhn.fr
------------------------------
HUNGARY
1. Hungarian Museum of Natural History, Budapest Laszlo Peregovits:
perego at zoo.zoo.nhmus.hu
------------------------------
THE NETHERLANDS
1. Zoological Museum, University of Amsterdam
2. National Herbarium Netherlands, Leiden
3. Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures, Utrecht Annelies Pierrot :
pierrot at science.uva.nl
------------------------------
POLAND
1. Museum and Institute of Zooology, PAS, Warsaw Wieslaw Bogdanovich:
wieslawb at miiz.waw.pl
SWEDEN
1. Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet, Stockholm HI-LAT Stefan Claesson :
stefan.claesson at nrm.se
UNITED-KINGDOM
1. The Natural History Museum, London BioResource
2. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
3. Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh Vanessa Pike : vanp at nhm.ac.uk