Fwd: Data Entry Query

Daniel Janzen djanzen at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Wed Jan 8 07:14:31 CST 2003

Fran, the time/cost bottleneck that dwarfs all other costs so much as to
make them almost irrelevant is that of the time/cost of quality taxonomic
action by taxonomists revising/curating the collection to where you KNOW
that the specimens being databased are what you say they are (including
that when two different specimens are both called species X, whatever is
species X, those two specimens are conspecific) - at least for retroactive
data capture of insect collections from the tropics.  Data capture for
incoming specimens is a totally different matter and needs to be treated as
such.

Not meaning to be disrespectful, and a non-taxonomist's observation.

Dan Janzen