Floras needed!

Michael W at
Wed Jan 15 18:35:14 CST 2003

Dear Colleague,

I would like to solicit your help with a project on the floristics of
North America.  I know that many of you are already aware of this project
(which has been going on for almost a decade!), and have helped out a
great deal.

My collaborators (Peter Earls , Mark Withers, Paul Neal, Peter White, and
Gary Wade) and I are attempting to assemble a bibliography of vascular
floras written for regions (of any spatial scale) within North America
(north of Mexico). 'Vascular flora' has been defined in many ways.  We
define it as "A list of the vascular plant species documented to occur in
a defined area, which is intended to be representative of the area". Thus,
it includes what some consider 'florulae' or 'inventories', but excludes
(among other things) wildflower lists, tree lists, rare plant lists,
spring floras, computer printouts, lists from a collection trip or field
trip, etc.

We hope that this bibliography will eventually be of use to botanists.  To
some degree, we hope that it will help rescue good works from obscurity!
But our primary goal is a quantitative analysis of the floras.  We suspect
it will yield insights into patterns of biodiversity throughout North
America.  For more details about our project, including preliminary
analyses, please see:

www.okstate.edu/artsci/botany/floras.htm.
This website (a converted Powerpoint presentation) is best viewed using
internet explorer.

So far, we have assembled over 7500 references, many of which are not
'true' floras.
A large number of these references are ones we have not yet seen a copy
of.  Many floristic works (e.g. theses, articles in short-lived or
otherwise obscure journals, privately published lists, state government
reports) exist in very few copies and are thus not easy (or not possible)
to obtain through interlibrary services.

Furthermore, we are sure that there are hundreds of floras we are not yet
aware of.  Because floras are often too obscure to be indexed by
electronic databases, and because their titles do not always include key
terms that alert the reader to the presence of a species list (for
example, a 'true' flora may be contained in a thesis describing vegetation
structure), 'word of mouth' is one of our most effective ways to learn of
the existence of floras.

If you have access to obscure floras, I would really like to hear from
you.  I am eager to receive photocopies, electronic versions, or loans of
floras.  I am also eager to learn of the existence of floras new to the
database, even without access to the source.  I can supply you with a list
of the works I know about in your state or province ? as well as a list of
the ones I do not yet have.

I recognize that a number of the frequent posters to TAXACOM are also
prolific authors of floras!  Reprints of current or past work, electronic
or paper, are always welcome.  I would be happy to let you know whether I
already have a copy.

Unfortunately, we do not have financial resources to reimburse for copying
and shipping.  Our project is currently unfunded.  However, I hope the
bibliography of floristic works in your state or province (though
currently in need of editing) offered in exchange would be of some value
to you.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the Floras
Project, or if you would like some clarification about what constitutes a
flora.

Sincerely,

Mike Palmer

Michael W. Palmer