Unknown fruit & other plants from Costa Rica

Börge Pettersson Borge.Pettersson at CBM.SLU.SE
Fri Jan 17 11:22:18 CST 2003

Dear fellow biologists,
Many thanks to everybody that helped with the identification of my
fruit from La selva in Costa Rica! The ananimous opinion is that I
photographed Carpotroche platyptera of Flacourtiaceae.
http://arbetsplats.slu.se:4032/Shared%20Documents/Unknown_fruit.jpg

This remarkable possibility to benefit from global knowledge is
surely one of the strongest sides of the TAXACOM list.

While I still have your attention, I would like to ask for opinions
on three plants I photographed in paramo vegetation at Cerra de la
Muerte in Costa Rica 19 Oct. 2002.

1. The first one I am rather sure is Eryngium humile (Apiaceae).
however, I would like to have this confirmed.
http://arbetsplats.slu.se:4032/Shared%20Documents/Eryngium_humile.jpg
http://arbetsplats.slu.se:4032/Shared%20Documents/Eryngium_humileClose.jpg

2. The second is probably a Castilleja (Scrophulariaceae), but which species?
http://arbetsplats.slu.se:4032/Shared%20Documents/Castilleja.jpg

3. The third might be a Melastomataceae, but I am not sure and I know
nothing more.
http://arbetsplats.slu.se:4032/Shared%20Documents/Melastomataceae.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Börge Pettersson
   Börge Pettersson
   Swedish Biodiversity Centre
   Box 7007      Tel: +46-18 67 27 44 , +46-70 325 21 69
   SE-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden        Fax: +46-18 67 34 80
http://www.cbm.slu.se/engelska/contact/personalia/borpeteng.htm
                     Visiting address: Bäcklösavägen 10A
                     E-mail: Borge.Pettersson at cbm.slu.se