Biogeography of Dietes (Iridaceae)

john Grehan jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Tue Jan 21 13:15:40 CST 2003

I managed to obtain a couple of off-list responses confirming the taxonomic
status of the Lord Howe species and also the distributional information -
for which I am most grateful.

Although Ken is not sure about Dietes being a standard Indian Ocean pattern
I can say with surety that it is because its distribution includes Africa
and the SW Pacific. This is a common pattern for Indian Ocean groups. Its
as simple as that.

As to Lord Howe Island, it is possible that the specie did not come from
any surrounding island, but represents local survival from a widespread
ancestor that occupied Africa and the SW Pacific. One might argue from a
stratigraphic point of view that Lord Howe Island is not old enough, or
been above water long enough. These are geological theories that may or may
not be true, and are contingent upon theories about the geological
formations of the immediate area. Thus one cannot presuppose that these
theories are anything more than just that and the biogeographic picture
does not have to be made subordinate to those theories - whether or not
Dietes is ever discovered to occur in the surrounding region.

There is no biogeographic evidence (i.e. spatial homology of the known
distribution) to suggest either way whether or not Dietes once occupied
Antarctica. There is certainly no empirical evidence of it having
'originated' anywhere beyond its current track.

John

jgrehan at sciencebuff.org