Biogeography of Dietes (Iridaceae)

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 23 06:15:10 CST 2003

Geoff,
      I couldn't agree more.  I am still not sure if this brand of
panbiogeography is too much "pan" or too little "pan".  It just doesn't
strike me as very predictively heuristic.  More like being frozen by an
excessive and overwhelming fear of circular reasoning, and thus ending up
with a rather minimal amount of scientific value.
      Charles Darwin got some things wrong, but considering what was known
at the time, he was incredibly good at pushing the envelope----and the
overall fitness of his ideas have certainly given them a superior ability to
survive much competition and "predation".  I suspect the same will happen
with the ideas of Ernst Mayr which have gotten a lot of criticism in the
past decade or so.  So it goes.   It all comes out in the scientific "wash"
eventually, and future philosophers and historians of science are going to
have their hands full analyzing the past couple of decades in the history of
Biology.
              ----- Ken