Sharing expertise: remember the King

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at PANDORA.BE
Sat Jan 25 14:29:31 CST 2003

A few days ago, Michael Palmer wrote:

After giving this some thought, I find this evolution very disquieting
too. I can understand that such regulations are inevitable for corporate
America (I work for them), but in an academic context I find this
attitude totally inappropriate. US decision makers imposing such
regulations should better remember the words of their king: "We can't go
on together with suspicious minds (suspicious minds) and we can't build
our dreams on suspicious minds (suspicious minds)!"

Regards,

Jan

>I found the discussion about the degree we should feel free to share our
>expertise (free of charge) to be quite interesting.  But I'm also
>concerned that there is a current of something even more disquieting
>happening.   Please see the announcement below, circulated to faculty
>within our university.  I've been told that there are potential concerns
>not only when we teach international students, but also when we post to
>listservs, or maintain a web page (thus I have specifically been asked to
>attend the seminar).   I will find out more details next week, but I'm
>sure many of my other US colleagues have heard similar things.  I've
>changed the names below.
>

>Faculty,
>You may have received the message below from your department head
>recently. I URGE YOU TO TAKE NOTICE OF THESE REGULATIONS SINCE THEY MAY
>INDEED BE RELEVANT TO YOUR PROGRAM.
>The definition of "Export" includes discussion of your research with a
>foreign national. Since many of us have international students, we, by
>definition, are "exporters". This in turn means that we may require a
>license to "export" this material. The only question remains what material
>needs to have a license. That is not easy to answer and is the purpose of
>John's seminar.
>
>I URGE YOU TO ATTEND IF YOUR SCHEDULE ALLOWS.
>
>Bryan
>

>*****
>

>John  Doe (Office of University Research) will present an EAR (Export
>Administration Regulations)/ITAR (International Traffic in Arms
>Regulation) seminar for members of the Arts & Sciences faculty on
>Wednesday 29, 2003 at 3pm in Case Study 1, Rm 408 Student Union.  Those
>conducting research that may fall under these regulations, including but
>not limited to Computer Science, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology,
> Mathematics and Zoology, those who will present research results at
>international conferences or those who have international students in
>their labs are urged to attend this seminar.

Dr. Jan Bosselaers
"Dochterland", R. novarumlaan 2
B-2340 Beerse, Belgium               tel / fax 32-14-615896
home: dochterland at pandora.be  /  hortipes at dochterland.org
work: jbossela at janbe.jnj.com
web: http://www.dochterland.org/ or http://wyith.ch/home/dochterland.org/

"You know I used to lose my mind, but now I'm old, now I'm free...
I see waves break in foams on my horizons, I'm shining..." The Chemical Brothers