Strange bird in Montrose, Colorado

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 25 18:07:20 CST 2003

Jim,
     Looked at your pictures again this morning, and I'm still not sure what
to make of this odd bird.  The head looks like a chickadee, the body looks
like a pink-sided junco, and I've never seen that kind of chest pattern on
either a chickadee or a junco.
     I am now inclined to say it's a cross between pink-sided and
gray-headed juncos (and with that blue color, it could have some Mexican
junco in its ancestry as well).  If it is a junco, the similarity of its
head coloration (to that of a chickadee) is amazing (especially viewed from
the front).  Very strange indeed.
P.S.  Have you heard its song?