Strange bird in Montrose, Colorado

Mark Egger megger at ATTBI.COM
Sun Jan 26 11:29:56 CST 2003

Jim and group,

I took the liberty of posting Jim's message to a birding list serve
to which I belong. The concensus of that group was that the bird in
question is a "leucistic" junco, a minor genetic patterning
aberration, and not an (improbable) hybrid, such as junco x chickadee
(the name "junkadee" was suggested by one person in jest...). This
"odd junco" hypothesis seems a lot more likely to me, as
morphologically the bird is identical to a normal junco, except for
the odd plummage markings on the head & chest areas. Interesting bird!

Mark