Time to update taxonomy? Article from BioMedNet [Snip w/link]

pierre deleporte pierre.deleporte at UNIV-RENNES1.FR
Fri Jan 31 13:35:15 CST 2003

A 11:57 31/01/2003 +0000, you wrote :
>The real crux of the matter is that if all these DNA sequences are to mean
>anything other than simply existing as a nice bunch of sequences in a
>computer, then they will have to be related to a real organism, i.e., a
>specimen. For that specimen to be of any use, we need morphological
>taxonomists who know what they are looking at.
>
>A bunch of DNA sequences without an organism to relate them to is of no
>use whatsoever to anyone.

Neither is a collection of biopsies without corresponding specimens. Don't
laugh, such "collections" do exist in some labs... unfortunately for their
owners, there are no more "biopsies" than there are "sequences" running
freely out there, waiting for modern biologists to study them. DNA simply
cannot be the first way to describe the biological diversity of organisms.

>The various difficulties of deciding species status, or otherwise, from a
>particular sequence should be too glaringly obvious to require repetition,
>but it seems like I am being a bit overoptimistic...
>
>Wolfgang
>
>--
>Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Lecturer
>School of Biological Sciences    Tel: +44 1248 382301
>University of Wales              Fax: +44 1248 371644
>Bangor LL57  2UW                 E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
>Wales, UK                        http://sbsweb.bangor.ac.uk/
>
>    Personal homepage: http://sbsweb.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

Pierre Deleporte
CNRS UMR 6552 - Station Biologique de Paimpont
F-35380 Paimpont   FRANCE
Téléphone : 02 99 61 81 66
Télécopie : 02 99 61 81 88