Time to update taxonomy? Article from BioMedNet [Snip w/link]

Ed Pirog pirog at COX.NET
Fri Jan 31 07:29:57 CST 2003

    I have a thought regarding this subject from the nontaxonomists point of
view. I have always been under the impression that taxonomy was not only to
catalog the organisms of the earth but to better facilitate communication
among the different groups of scientists (and nonscientists). We've already
come to a point where in many cases an organism cannot be identified
morphologically unless it's specific origin is known (which is something
else I don't understand). I can imagine the number of species identified on
the basis of DNA alone... it would be a nightmare. I can see where it could
be useful in supporting the idea of a new or existing species.

Ed Pirog