nameless taxonomy (Re: Time to update taxonomy?)

Fri Jan 31 15:17:03 CST 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most systematists who establish DNA profiles
for taxa base their information on data derived from specimens that they either
know, or assume, belong to the taxa in question?  Those I am familiar with
generally start with a non-molecular means of determining which specimens
belong to each taxon, then use these specimens to evaluate DNA-based
relationships among the taxa.  After all, you can't claim that your DNA-based
description is representative of a particular taxon unless you have used some a
priori criteria for placing the individual specimens in that taxon.

Dick

--
Richard J. Jensen              | tel: 574-284-4674
Department of Biology      | fax: 574-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         | e-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN 46556    | http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen