Phasmida

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 31 23:54:23 CST 2003

Dear All,
      I haven't read the full article in question, but I suspect that
Whiting and colleagues may simply be overestimating the probability that the
first member of Phasmida was wingless.  If this assumption is wrong, the
whole rest of the article is hardly worth the paper it is printed on.
     I can't be sure until I've actually read it, but I have a feeling I am
going to find this paper rather disappointing (I'd bet that the data are
good, but the reasoning is not so good).  I love radical new ideas, but this
one doesn't sound very promising to me.  They might change my mind, but not
going to hold my breath.
     And wasn't Whiting the one who started the whole Strepsiptera
controversy back in the 1990's?  I think the jury is still out on that one,
and I bet this one will be just as controversial.  We shall see.
         ------ TGIF,  Ken