Systematics vs. Taxonomy

STEPHEN MANNING SDMANNING at ASUB.EDU
Tue Jul 1 15:09:00 CDT 2003

Richard,

Starting on Sept. 5, 2002 and for about a week thereafter, there was a
discussion on TAXACOM about differences, if any, between systematics and
taxonomy.  It's probably still available in the archives - otherwise I will
forward those posts that I still have if anyone is interested.  I don't
remember anyone defining the terms, especially taxonomy, precisely as you
have done below, but some did see differences between the two terms as
presently used.

Steve Manning

At 02:32 PM 7/1/03 -0500, Richard Zander wrote:
>At one time, "systematics" and "taxonomy" meant much the same thing. I
>wonder how many Taxacomers have noted a recent difference in use of these
>words, where systematics is now defined as phylogenetic analysis and its use
>in classification, while taxonomy sums up plant exploration, identification,
>curation, nomenclature, biogeography, chromosome numbers, and token analysis
>with PAUP.
>

>______________________
>Richard H. Zander
>Bryology Group