First International Phylogenetic Nomenclature Meeting, Paris 2004

Barry Roth barry_roth at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 3 11:41:08 CDT 2003

But all clades are taxa, are they not?  Unless by "taxon" you mean a "nameable clade".  In that case, perhaps we need a Code to address criteria of nameablility.  Good luck in getting agreement on that one.  (The framers of the ICZN, at least, had the good sense to duck that issue.)

BR (in grumpy pants this morning)

Curtis Clark <jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU> wrote:
At 10:24 AM 7/3/2003 -0700, T. Michael Keesey wrote:
>I think the Linnaean system is absolutely incompatible with strict monophyly
>(=holophyly).

I'm not saying that all clades should be taxa but rather that all taxa
should be clades.