Phylogenetic Nomenclature

Una Smith una at LANL.GOV
Thu Jul 3 13:38:56 CDT 2003

T. Michael Keesey <mightyodinn at yahoo.com> wrote:
>This still doesn't solve the problem of where to place ancestral species.
>
>You could possibly get around the problem of running out of ranks by leaving
>many taxa unnamed,
[...]
>But then you leave a lot of fossil taxa with no
[name at a given rank]

So?  The current system doesn't solve this problem either.  Even
so, some groups of taxonomists do try to apply full ranking to
every clade, and argue over how to do it.  Others skip the issue.
Eg, many paleobotanists recognize genera *incertae sedis* within
a given order or class, and many taxa that are not clades.

        Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM  87545