First International Phylogenetic Nomenclature Meeting, Paris 2004

Fri Jul 4 14:04:48 CDT 2003

Whether or not Phylocode succeeds or fails will depend almost entirely on
whether substantial numbers of practicing taxonomists/systematists find it
to be a useful tool for communicating information relevant to their
discoveries, ideas, and hypotheses.  The exact same thing can be said about
IC_N nomenclatural systems.

There is a legitimate argument that the mere attempt to establish Phylocode
may cause tremendous damage and confusion.  I believe that the Phylocode
framers can eviscerate the legitimacy of such arguments with a few simple
steps contained within the PhyloCode itself (e.g., a *mandatory* inclusion
of some sort of symbol embedded directly within all Phylocode names -- a
feature that would be beneficial beyond just mitigation of confusion with
Linnaean-based names).  If they refuse to take such steps to allow both
systems to exist in (perhaps awkward?) harmony, I believe the chances for
its success and adoption by sufficient numbers of practicing taxonomists is
diminished, and the potential for the aforementioned damage and confusion
elevated.

Similarly, ceaseless drum-beating by the Phylocode detractors does not help
the situation either.  I believe that the Phylocode was developed from a
sincere perceived need for a more effective information dissemination
protocol than what is available via traditional Linnaean nomenclature.  I
further believe that by shifting away from the use of Linnaean nomenclature
as a tool to communicate purely phylogenetic hypotheses, a greater level of
stability can be restored to the Linnaean nomenclature (thereby benefiting
traditional taxonomists).

Although I still maintain that a mutually beneficial (to practitioners of
both nomenclatural systems) is indeed possible; after reading recent posts
on this and other lists, I am increasingly convinced that it is exceedingly
unlikely.  Shame.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle