PhyloCode: The real problem...again

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Sat Jul 5 17:43:55 CDT 2003

At 19:28 2003-07-05 -0400, Ron Gatrelle wrote:
>Fascism is a completely legitimate form of political philosophy - just look
>it up in any dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fascism

I guess I'm not enough of a political scientist to understand why the
connection with nomenclature is more than just rhetoric.

>  "..would
>ultimately be a fascist nomenclature..."  is not emotional tongue
>flapping - it is simple FACT.

I am enough of a natural scientist to know that there are no "simple"
facts. I've been living in the United States long enough to know that use
of "fascism" in such a context is almost never meant to be merely descriptive.

>Throwing some trite URL
>at it don't change the spots on the Phylocode Leopard.

You're really pissed, aren't you.

>Some of you remind me of a liberal lawyer trying to persuade
>a jury of the "goodness inside" of a serial rapist.

Are you telling us that Phylocode and serial rapists are equivalent? That's
rather harsh.

>PS  This really is serious business, and we better have the _soul_ behind
>phylocode assessed properly (not just dotted  i and crossed t), or it will
>do a lot more damage than just bite some in the butt.

Seriously, does anyone remember the motives of the people behind the
controversies in nomenclature a century ago?

Biological Sciences Department            Voice: +1 909 869 4062
California State Polytechnic University     FAX: +1 909 869 4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  jcclark at csupomona.edu