PhyloCode: The real problem...again

Sun Jul 6 14:50:47 CDT 2003

I'm sorry, but context is everything.  When I use the word rape in my economic
botany class, my students will know that I am referring to the plant that
produces canola oil - unless I have clearly indicated that I'm speaking about
a physical assault.

Rape is a perfectly good English word that has a variety of meanings.  If we
pay attention to how the word is used, then we have a better chance of
correctly inferring the meaning in use.  Ron's analogy, in which he was
clearly referring to an attempt to seize the cloak of authority by those
advocating the overthrow of the current system, did not make me think of
sexual assault.  I could infer his meaning by virtue of being aware of the
context in which the word was used.

It's unfortunate that perfectly good words have their meanings restricted by
incorrect inferences.  To infer that Ron is insensitive to the victims of
sexual assault simply because he used the word rape in what I believe was an
effective analogy is not warranted.

Now, what social or political meanings do you wish to ascribe, by inference,
to my words?

Dick