re Registration

David J at
Fri Jul 11 14:13:48 CDT 2003

Registration is also being discussed informally in the context of
zoological nomenclature.  The most recent Bulletin of Zoological
Nomenclature had one item on this matter.

Although the Codes have served us well in the past, biology is not well
placed in terms of contemporary informatics, and integrative structures
that will accelerate access to biological information are now overdue.  The
uBio project should be able to offer a global framework for registration
within the forseeable future.

David Patterson

At 02:05 PM 7/9/2003 -0700, Paul Kirk wrote:
>If we do nothing about Registration (or lets call it Notification) and
>Electronic Publication in 2005 (Vienna) it will be 2011 before we get the
>next chance and the rest of 'biology' will have left us in isolation of our
>own making and not to far removed from a pointed stick and some soft clay
>when it comes to our methods of cummunication. If molecular biologists are
>confortable with the requirement to obtain a GenBank accession number before
>most journals will publish in that domain why cannot systematists accept a
>similar requirement before they publish nomenclatural novelties? Using a
>system which could easily be offered by existing indexing services (IPNI,
>Zoological Record, Index of Fungi, etc).
>
>Paul Kirk
>Editor, Index of Fungi
>CABI Bioscience
>www.cabi-bioscience.org