author of the name

Fri Jul 11 08:56:50 CDT 2003

Of course, I fully agree with Doug on this.  But I also understand that it
is often not feasible to establish a robust taxonomic authority for
collections databases, so in cases where the taxonomic name is embedded
within the specimen data table, I still believe it to be useful to include a
field for authorship.

Following Doug's line of thinking, though, I'll point out that the ideal
approach is much more complicated than a taxonomic authority with a field
for authorship.

First of all, specimens get identified and re-identified potentially several
or many times -- so you need a 1:many relationship between specimens and
names.  Second, I have gotten away from treating "authorship" as a
text-string value, and establish a link between a name and a "Reference",
and then a further set of links between References and their authors (unique
ID codes for both References and "Agents" who serve as authors).  Thus, the
authorship of a taxon name is derrived from the authorship of the Reference
in which the name was described.  It's imporant to note that a "Reference"
in this case includes subsections of what we might otherwise think of a
single "Reference" (e.g., journal article).  Such "Subreferences" are
necessary to accomodate cases where authorship of a species does not match
the authorship of the parent reference in which its original description
appeared (e.g., "Smith & Jones in Smith").

Paul Kirk wrote:

> The name of the determiner and the
> source of the determination (flora or monograph used) is equally as
> important for interpreting the collection in the absence of a
> re-examination.

I couldn't agree more!  If you have a choice between recording the author of
the taxon name, and the person(s) and/or source of how the specimen was
determined to be that name, the determiner/source is DEFINITELY more
important!  This gets into the issue of taxon names vs. taxon concepts...but
I think we're starting to get beyond the point of Liliana's original
question....

Aloha,
Rich