Help with building standards

Michael Ivie mivie at GEMINI.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Mon Jul 14 12:51:30 CDT 2003

Dear Taxacomers,

We were recently "offered" space for some of our collections in a
seemingly nice space.  The space is in fact a double wide modular
building (i.e trailer), with wooden siding reaching to the ground up
against a field of dry meter-high grass and weeds, about 25 meters of
dead, dry grass from a hay stack.  The inside has flamable walls and wall
coverings, a wood and vinyl floor with no vapor barrier in spite of
being right next (3 meters) to a seasonally floodable stream.  Therefore,
I said the space did not meet the standards for museum collections in
terms of fire protection, alcohol storage (again fire issues) and humidity
controls.  This seemed self evident to me.

I also pointed out that the building has 14 left of an expected life (by
the manufacturer) of 20 years, and that finding 2000 square feet of space
in 14 years would be impossible, and that this also did not meet museum
standards for permanent protection.

My adminstration has asked where these standards are.  Opps, I have no
idea if there really are written standards of this sort, but there must
be.  The issue is so obvious that I didn't expect this.  Can anyone tell
me where I can find something that says an insect collection and 200
gallons of flamable alcohol should not be put in a firetrap trailer next
to a hay stack and subject to moisture from an overflowing stream?

Thanks,

Mike Ivie

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D.
Department of Entomology