Fruit from Indonesia identified

Mihaly Czako czako at MAIL.BIOL.SC.EDU
Wed Jul 16 11:16:10 CDT 2003

        Thanks to a colleague, Soenartono (Tony) Adisoemarto, in Indonesia the
fruit from Banda (Maluku, Indonesia) has been identified as "mahkota
dewa". Apparently it is very popular as it has website dedicated to it:
http://mahkotadewa.com/Buku-Made.htm

"Dear Dr. Czako, this is the info on the fruit.
  There are 2 spp : (1) from western part of Indonesia, the species is
Phaleria macrocarpa (vern. name : mahkota dewa); (2) from eastern part
of the country, it is P. papuana (vern. name[s] : pusaka [heritage of]
dewa [god]; mahkota [crown of] ratu [queen]). I would think that your
fruit belongs to P. papuana (judging from the place where you have found
it). I hope this will be of use to you.
  Regards.

--
Mihaly Czako, Ph.D.