vernacular names

Fri Jul 25 09:23:23 CDT 2003

At 09:31 AM 7/25/03 +1000, Jim Croft wrote:

>Why I reminded of a _Juncus nupela_ (after the New Guinea pigin english
>for new fellow, new one) recorded for scientific posterity by a well-known
>cigar-loving Dutch botanist, whose name escapes me for the moment...  :)

I guess in this category belongs Cyane kuhihewa Lammers of
Hawaii.  Kuhihewa is a Hawaiian verb meaning "to suppose wrongly, to err in
judgment, to mistake someone for someone else."  The type specimen was at
first thought to represent the rediscovery of another species thought
extinct, Cyanea linearifolia Rock.  (Brittonia 48: 237-240, 1996).

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: