Vernacular names

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Sat Jul 26 02:19:23 CDT 2003

Thomas Lammers wrote:

> Harold St. John at Bishop Museum once told me that when Warren "Herb"
> Wagner, Jr. was a grad student in the Forties, he came in with a bunch of
> specimens he had collected at a place called Kapu. He had mistaken posted
> "keep out" signs ("kapu" is the Hawaiian cognate of Tahitian "taboo") as
> the name of the place.

* and in 1973, on our first visit to the mountains of British Columbia,
we recorded one locality only as "Runaway Lane" - not realizing this was
not a street name, but a generic term for the routes provided for trucks
whose brakes had failed.

fred.
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
     (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo at mail2.storm.ca>