Online identification keys

ethan bright ethanbr at UMICH.EDU
Wed Jul 30 12:32:03 CDT 2003

--On Wednesday, July 30, 2003 4:47 PM +0100 Roger Hyam <roger at HYAM.NET>
wrote:

> I am doing a little research into online, interactive identification
> keys principly of plants but animals would be interesting to.
> What would people really like from such a key?

It's nice to have interactive this, interactive that, fancy flash and php
web applets and all sorts, but really, the best thing to do is keep things
simple. Have as much information on one page accessed by one mouse click,
while trying to keep file sizes to a reasonable minimum (especially when a
lot of graphics load). Also, it would be nice to also incorporate TABLES!!!
Character tables are an excellent means for people to quickly check all
pertinent characters a particular taxon possesses, and to check for
possible errors when interpreting keys.
Cheers, Ethan