Online identification keys.

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Wed Jul 30 13:18:15 CDT 2003

For Una and other interested.

Go to
http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/Diptera/tephriti/pests/adults/www/ident.htm

You can down load the new INTKEY (Windows) and our Fruit fly dataset.

Yes, many old-times like Mike's command line / batch file driven
interface, but unfortunately for today's kids everything is Windows!
GUI!  Sorry.

While there are others, like LucID, etc., the DELTA based
identification systems remain the best. The only serious question about
the Internet is whether they should be truly "online" or available
online for downloading.

As our's is a system for identification of critical plant pests (fruit
flies) one does not want a quarantine inspector trying to make an
identification of, for example, a medfly, online when that session may
be interrupted or slow. The best solution is for them to have these
critical applications on their systems and where the system can check
for update as needed.

Cheers

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

Roger Hyam wrote:
>I am doing a little research into online, interactive identification
>keys principly of plants but animals would be interesting to.

>What would people really like from such a key?

I want a web interface that replicates the functionality of the
*old* INTKEY interface, which was driven by command line and/or
batch file.  That should be extremely easy to implement, and be
very robust:  it would work in any browser, even a stricly text-
based one.

(BTW, my postdoc ends next spring and I am looking for a job in
the northeastern US.)

        Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM  87545