BRYONET: Correspondence of Charles Mohr available

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG
Wed Jul 23 18:10:11 CDT 2003

The letters of Charles Mohr to George W. Clinton are now becoming available
for reading online at:
http://ridgwaydb.mobot.org/resbot/hist/corrauth/MohrClinton/1_MohrClinton.ht
<http://ridgwaydb.mobot.org/resbot/hist/corrauth/MohrClinton/1_MohrClinton.h
tm>

This correspondence from 1867 to 1879 has been transcribed by P. M. Eckel,
Editor of the Clinton Papers from correspondence in the Research Library of
the Buffalo Museum of Science.

>From the Introduction
\\ridgwaydb\resbot\Hist\CorrAuth\MohrClinton\Introduction.htm
<file://\\ridgwaydb\resbot\Hist\CorrAuth\MohrClinton\Introduction.htm> :
Mohr's 46 letters, reproduced here in transliteration, span his life from
the date of the first letter of April 30, 1867 to February 21, 1879, a
period of 12 years. Mohr was 40 years old in 1867. He moved, with his wife
and children to Mobile, Alabama, in 1857 and resided there for the next
forty years - essentially the rest of his life. All of Mohr's letters to
Clinton were posted from Mobile. Intellectually, this period represented the
time when Mohr was passing from pursuits in pharmacy and medicine in which
he was both successful in business and theory, especially during the Civil
War when Mohr worked in these fields for the Confederate government, then to
geology at the immediate end of the Civil War, and to botany, which occupied
most of the 1870's.

The letters also focus on a period of enthusiastic bryophyte interest in
Clinton's and Mohr's lives, the latter anticipating with enthusiasm
determination of his specimens by the two leading bryophyte experts for the
North American flora: William Sterling Sullivant and Leo Lesquereux, both of
Columbus, Ohio, of both American collections, and those made in Mexico. As
can be seen in the letters, Mohr had to finally send some of his material
back to Germany for identification, some as species new to science
subsequently published in early volumes of the new Journal of the Torrey
Botanical Club.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Mohr also may have received duplicates of a valuable bryophyte herbarium
acquired by the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences through the efforts of
Clinton and Leo Lesquereux: 'I need scarly [sic] tell you, how thankfully I
will receive some of the duplicates of Schimpers europaean mosses. Having
lately established an exchange with a young bryologist in Germany I will
have shortly [=north?] middle and southwestern Germany fully represented;
truly alpine, high northern and particularly South europaean species will be
most welcome (Schimper has collected much in Spain and other countrys around
the Mediterranean)" (November 16, 1872). In Mohr's letter of the first of
January, 1873, he announced that the Schimper duplicates have arrived,
including many fungi: "In connection with my warmest thanks for the valuable
contributions to my collection by the receipt of your list package
containing the rare and most perfect specimens of Shimperian mosses and
extensive collection of fungi,I tender to you my best wishes and
congratulations at the begin of a new year."

______________________
Richard H. Zander
Bryology Group
Missouri Botanical Garden