If the types are living trees, also validly published?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Thu Oct 2 20:22:14 CDT 2003

From: Thomas Lammers <lammers at VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU>
> Overstatement, yes; exaggeration for effect.  But not THAT wild.  I've
> obviously never counted but there are many many names that were published
> without anything that even comes close to a specimen citation as we
> understand it.  Statements such as "Hab. in Dalmatia." do not strike me as
> specimen citations.

> Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

+ + +
Well, "before 1900" covers almost 150 years and it will be hard to make an
estimate of percentages, but I am sure that if all names published before
1900 that are based on a clearly indicated collection were to be put in a
single book, it would make for a pretty hefty book.

In that light "almost no name published before 1900" sounds pretty wild, as
overstatements go. ;-)

Best,
Paul van Rijckevorsel