necessary?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Fri Oct 3 09:03:08 CDT 2003

From: Nico M. Franz <nmf2 at CORNELL.EDU>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 5:11 AM
> If tomorrow an orchid species would lose its triploid endosperm or an ant
> evolved another pair of legs, we would still be able to refer to these new
> taxa as angiosperms and insects, by virtue of the remaining associated
> (congruently nested) properties they possess.

+ + +
Careful with the examples there!
Endosperm is especially present in the more primitive Angiosperms. The
higher Angiosperms tend to carry their reserves in the cotyledons. Orchid
seeds don't have reserves to speak of, just the embryo.
Not having endosperm is part of what defines an orchid.

Best,
Paul van Rijckevorsel
Utrecht, NL