Unpublished botanical names

cholewa chole001 at UMN.EDU
Mon Oct 6 10:00:24 CDT 2003

Yes, we've run into numerous specimens with "sp.nov." or "ined." on them and
yes we've included these in our types catalogue.  However, we indicate these
are possible types with the hopes that the various experts will ask to see
them and either confirm or deny; we have neither the staff nor the time to
check the literature.  Just because they might be in our catalogue doesn't
mean that they are accepted names under the rules, but it's important to
advertise these specimens to get them properly identified.  The experts are
the ones who are supposed to do the cleaning up.  Unfortunately, some people
doing monographic type work are not annotating such possible type specimens
(some don't annotate true types either).

Anita F. Cholewa, Ph.D.
Curator of Temperate Plants
J.F. Bell Museum of Natural History
University of Minnesota