molecular phylogeny

John Grehan jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Wed Oct 8 18:16:32 CDT 2003

I would be interested in what supporters of molecular phylogeny on this
list would say with respect to the following two questions:

1. If non-coding regions of DNA are supposed to be subject to random
mutational changes why should the genetic patterns between taxa match the
phylogenetic sequence of taxageny (or speciation)?

2. How would one deal with the possibility that there has been no molecular
evolution at all between species for a group so that all that is being
compared are the ancestral states with respect to the species being
compared and thus get a consistent pattern of molecular relationships but
one that has nothing to do with speciation sequences?

I realize that there are answers to these questions, but I have not come
across them (or I overlooked them in the literature, or I misunderstood
what I was reading).

John Grehan

Dr. John Grehan
Director of Science and Collections