Ottowia

B.J.Tindall bti at DSMZ.DE
Mon Oct 13 12:37:47 CDT 2003

In our attempts to avoid creating new homonyms I would like to ask the List
for its help on tracing a zoological name. A new genus Ottowia is being
proposed in prokaryotic systematics and a search of the Internet indicates
that Ottowia also appears at:

www.geol.umd.edu/~kaufman/ppt/ 123/123_Biodiversity_web.ppt

It would appear that the name could be associated with a fossil. However,
we have been unable to find the name in the BIOSIS database. Can anyone
help to clarify this, in order to avoid creating a homonym between a
zoological and prokaryotic taxon?

Brian

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *