necessary?

Mon Oct 13 09:13:51 CDT 2003

Of potential interest to taxonomists; especially with regard to getting
original descriptions online.

Aloha,
Rich

Public Library of Science:

http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/

About PLoS
Mission and Goals
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) is a nonprofit organization of
scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific and
medical literature a public resource.
Our goals are to:
  - Open the doors to the world's library of scientific knowledge by giving
any scientist, physician, patient, or student - anywhere in the world -
unlimited access to the latest scientific research.
  - Facilitate research, informed medical practice, and education by making
it possible to freely search the full text of every published article to
locate specific ideas, methods, experimental results, and observations.
  -  Enable scientists, librarians, publishers, and entrepreneurs to develop
innovative ways to explore and use the world's treasury of scientific ideas
and discoveries.

Current Projects
With help from a $9 million grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
and in-kind support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, we have
launched a nonprofit scientific publishing venture that will provide
scientists with high-quality, high-profile journals in which to publish
their most important work, while making the full contents freely available
for anyone to read, distribute, or use for their own research. (Read the
press release.)
The PLoS journals will be governed and operated by scientists. These
publications will retain all of the important features of scientific
journals, including rigorous peer review and high editorial and production
standards. They will employ a new publishing model that will allow PLoS to
make all published works immediately available online, with no charges for
access and no restrictions on subsequent redistribution or use.
We have assembled an outstanding academic editorial board and a first-class
professional editorial team. We began accepting manuscript submissions in
May 2003 and published our first issue of PLoS Biology in October 2003,
online and in print.

Organization Status
PLoS is a tax-exempt, 501(c)3, nonprofit corporation headquartered in San
Francisco, California (Federal Tax ID 68-0492065).
PLoS is governed by a ten-member Board of Directors. PLoS co-founder Harold
Varmus is Chairman of the Board.
Funding
PLoS has received financial support from the Gordon and Betty Moore
Foundation, the Irving A. Hansen Memorial Foundation, and several private
citizens. If you would like to make a donation, please call +1 415.624.1200
or email Stephany Foley.

185 Berry Street Suite 1300 San Francisco CA 94107 USA phone +1 415.624.1200
email plos at plos.org