Staphyliniformia (Coleoptera) databases on new web site

John Grehan jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Mon Oct 20 13:30:31 CDT 2003

As a biogeographer I am very keen on the development of these kinds of web
pages as they provide readily accessible information for a large range of
taxa. This new website seems to contain both positive and negative aspects
for my purposes.

As a panbiogeographer my main interest is the geographic location of taxa.
The database will at least allow me to extract a certain level of this
information, but the approach using tabular information listing diffuse
locality names and arbitrary (and in my opinion entirely unscientific) area
units is not very helpful for producing a precise biogeographic map. There
is also a very cumbersome process of looking up various area unit symbols.

IF NSF can fund detailed taxonomic work I don't see why it (and grant
proposers) cannot fund suitably detailed geographic work. I can appreciate
that a map generated on the basis of exact specimen locality data could be
too time consuming, but a very usable alternative would be to just draw
some kind of reasonably precise graphic rendition of distribution ranges
for taxa at a level of detail commensurate for the geographic scale. This
would make the biogeographic potential far more valuable. At a glance I
would be able to discern any biogeographic pattern. In the current form I
would have to spend of lot of time constructing maps that would for many
localities be of dubious precision.

So its a great first step, but I hope maps will follow.

For those of you out there working on similar projects, please, please draw
maps! (I put out a similar plea some years back). It is time that the
traditional dislike of taxonomists for geography is abandoned.

In the meantime I might try to draw some maps from the data for my
biogeography web site.

John

Dr. John Grehan
Director of Science and Collections