unpublished names

Michael Vincent vincenma at MUOHIO.EDU
Tue Oct 21 12:43:14 CDT 2003

At 08:30 AM 10/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>This is exactly the reason that unpublished names should be kept out of
>the literature (including, in my opinion, lists of institutional
>holdings).  No matter what well-intentioned "markers" are placed with or
>around a name, and how careful responsible taxonomists are in maintaining
>these sanitary procedures, such names have a way of escaping their cages
>and showing up in ecological, environmental, faunistic, and management
>documents.  (Trust me: as an editor I've seen how difficult it is to even
>enforce citation of author and date -- not to mention parentheses -- in
>articles authored by non-taxonomists.)  A name should be a seal, placed on
>the work only when it is completed  --that is, published -- and not sooner.
>
>Barry

I agree wholeheartedly with Barry.  Unpublished names should remain just
that.  We have enough to deal with without having to trace down names that
have never been published.  It takes enough of my time to trace down those
that ARE published, especially infraspecific names!

Mike

Dr. Michael A. Vincent, Curator
W.S. Turrell Herbarium (MU)
Department of Botany