family group name question

Jeff Webb jmw975 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 21 13:05:14 CDT 2003

In our revision of the mayfly family Heptageniidae, we
are recognizing three subfamilies.  For one of these
subfamilies, the oldest available family-group name is
Ecdyurinae Jacobsen and Bianchi (1905) and rooted in
the genus name Ecdyurus Eaton (1868).  Ecdyurus was a
replacement name for the name Ecdyonurus Eaton
(published earlier in 1868) (Eaton stating that he had
incorrectly formed Ecdyonurus).  Schoenemund (1930)
reinstated Ecdyonurus, showing that Ecdyurus was an
unnecessary replacement, and Ecdyonurus has been the
generic name used since that time and Ecdyurus has
been considered a junior synonym.  The next oldest
available family-group name that might be applied to
the subfamily is Ecdyonurinae Ulmer (1920) rooted in
the name Ecdyonurus.  Our question is should the
family-group name for this subfamily be Ecdyurinae or
Ecdyonurinae?

Thanks in advance,

=====
Jeff Webb