taxonomic authorities (was unpublished names)

Dusty McDonald fndlm at UAF.EDU
Tue Oct 21 14:55:26 CDT 2003

We at the UAM are thinking along these lines, but we've only been able to implement a small portion of it so far due to our database structure. Our taxonomy authority files are available at http://arctos.museum.uaf.edu:8080/cgi-bin/uam_db/taxonomy.cgi and, in a development environment, at http://hispida.museum.uaf.edu:8080/Public/TaxonomySearch.cfm. Additionally, we allow queries by comon names on our development database query application, http://hispida.museum.uaf.edu:8080/Public/SpecimenSearch.cfm. We have only minimal data available, with source authorities particularly sparse. Querying for Puma concolor will demonstrate the capabilities of our system. Querying for Felis concolor, catamount, cougar, mountain lion, or puma will produce the same results.

>>So while Bradysia ocellatus (Comstock) is not an available name, it is
>>frequently used as one for the common little black gnat found in the
>>soil and frequently found in homes where it emerges from the soil of
>>potted plants, etc. So, it is useful to know what specimens Comstock had
>>when he mis-used the name Cecidomyia ocellatus Osten Sacken.
>
>We have here a situation where there are conflicting needs. At one
>extreme, we have people who simply use taxonomic information, and -
>in general - aren't going to care about nomina nuda and the like, and
>will simply wish to know things like (1) what the present accepted
>name is for taxon X (2) what the presently accepted sub-taxa are
>contained in higher taxon Y (e.g., checklists, catalogs, authority
>files). At the other extreme, we have revisionary taxonomists, for
>whom every little detail, no matter how obscure, is potentially
>valuable in clarifying the muddle of nomenclature they are compelled
>to deal with. Any nomenclatural database designed solely to satisfy
>one of these two extremes of the user spectrum is not going to be
>entirely satisfactory to users at the other extreme; an ideal
>resource should be set up so the user can toggle a switch to go from
>"all names" to "all valid names" to "all available names" at will. To
>my knowledge, there are no such resources.

Such a system is possible by implementing a thesaurus, which we've proposed to do in league with MVZ if we're awarded appropriate NSF funding in January. In such a system, one can track much more than our simple system allows. For example, relationships within ("child taxa of"), among ("synonym of") and about ("described by") taxa are all possible. The interfaces for such a system have not been developed, but could include as many user-definable filters as needed (ranging from "show me everything recorded about taxon A" to "show me possible scientific names for this common name") to provide the desired results.

If funded, the taxonomic thesaurus will be published as a freely available webservice.

Even Chris' database of

-
Dusty McDonald
Programmer