Subject: Sale of Zoo Record

Paul Kirk p.kirk at CABI.ORG
Wed Oct 22 05:23:22 CDT 2003

Charles,

Sounds like a plan to shift the responsibility for making the whole user
community aware of new name (nomenclatural novelties) away from information
compilors to producers of names (i.e. taxonomist). We called it registration
in botany but it failed to get support in St Louis - seems (some) taxonomist
are only interested in serving other taxonomist, little wonder we are in
decline, no concern for our real costomers.

Paul Kirk
CABI Bioscience

-----Original Message-----
From: John Noyes
To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
Sent: 22/10/03 13:13
Subject: [TAXACOM] Subject: Sale of Zoo Record

Please note that this message is forwarded from Charles Hussey to
Taxacom

To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU

The success of Zoo Record has depended on close association with
academic
libraries. Zoo Recorders have been based at 2 libraries in the UK -
British
Library at Boston Spa and (until recently) the Natural History Museum,
London. Previously, Recorders also worked from the Institute of
Entomology.
Thus there is a dependency on these libraries maintaining subscriptions
the widest possible range of journals that publish taxonomic papers. In
the
present climate, this can no longer be relied upon - especially as some
of
these journals are pretty obscure. If access to journal is cut, then the
whole operation of Zoo Record is undermined.

Being based in a single country also means that the Recorders (all
amazingly
dedicated people) have to grapple with abstracting articles written in
every
language under the sun. In the circumstances, a remarkably achievement.

How much better if Zoo Record could become an international effort, with
the
effort shared across different continents. This should ensure both
better
access to local journals and better understanding, through use of native
speakers.

Charles Hussey,

Science Data Co-ordinator,
Library and Information Services,
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London SW7 5BD
United Kingdom

Tel. +44 (0)207 942 5213
Fax. +44 (0)207 942 5559
e-mail c.hussey at nhm.ac.uk
URL http://www.nhm.ac.uk
John S. Noyes,
Department of Entomology,
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
South Kensington,
London SW7 5BD
Tel.: +44 (0)207 942 5594    Fax.: +44 (0)207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about
chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/chalcidoids

Interactive catalogue and biological database of World Chalcidoidea on
CD:
Contact the publisher: DickyS._Yu at telus.net, or Dicky S. Yu, P.O.Box
48205,
Bentall Centre, Vancouver B.C., V7X 1N8, CANADA;
see also www.taxapad.com

Annual course on "Taxonomy and biology of parasitic Hymenoptera":
www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/hymcours/