Subject: Sale of Zoo Record

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Wed Oct 22 09:40:17 CDT 2003

Yes, Charles, Paul, et alia:

The zoologists also tried for a form of registration and that involved
making the Zoological Record our "official" registration system. And
like the botany community, the idea was shot down.

The problem remains a few amateur (in the sense of not being
"professional") who want to keep taxonomy as their hobby, to be able to
publish anything, anywhere and expecting the rest of the community to
figure out what they did.

The Zoological Record over the years despite the difficulties has done
an outstanding job of finding most publications with new names, etc..
Without that help, I fear that zoological nomenclature, in the sense of
knowing what has been published, etc., will fall into chaos again.

So, we hope that for Zoology, CABI can do for us what it does for the
fungi, etc.

Oh well ...

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

>>> Paul Kirk <p.kirk at CABI.ORG> 10/22/03 08:23AM >>>
Charles,

Sounds like a plan to shift the responsibility for making the whole
user
community aware of new name (nomenclatural novelties) away from
information
compilors to producers of names (i.e. taxonomist). We called it
registration
in botany but it failed to get support in St Louis - seems (some)
taxonomist
are only interested in serving other taxonomist, little wonder we are
in
decline, no concern for our real costomers.

Paul Kirk
CABI Bioscience