Subject: Sale of Zoo Record

Steve.Shattuck at CSIRO.AU Steve.Shattuck at CSIRO.AU
Fri Oct 24 06:26:28 CDT 2003

The "all on the same ship" analogy (see below) is great, but I don't
think it accurately reflects the way most zoological taxonomists think
about what they do.  My impression is that very few would say there is a
single "captain" and even fewer would say they are on the same ship as
other taxonomists.  While it can be argued that the Code is our
"captain", we act as though we are all on our own little ships and we
really don't seem to care what happens to other ships, as long as ours
is secure.  We don't seem to realize that by building a single large
ship we all win in the long run even if we do lose in the short term.
We win because we speak with a single LOUD voice (= strength in numbers)
and the cost of doing our science is reduced (because of stronger
infrastructure and a more even sharing of the work load).  We lose in
the short term by having (potentially) fewer options in publishing (no
more privately published papers/books) and the added burden of entering
data in our captain's log book (our equivalent of GenBank).

Optimistically, I think we are moving in the right direction, although
our progress is slow.  We seem very reluctant to give up our mirror
dinghies and board the Queen Mary.

Steve Shattuck
CSIRO Entomology
Steve.shattuck at csiro.au