Subject: Sale of Zoo Record

Jim Croft jrc at ANBG.GOV.AU
Fri Oct 24 07:54:41 CDT 2003

At 06:26 AM 24/10/2003, Steve.Shattuck at csiro.au wrote:
>The "all on the same ship" analogy (see below) is great, but I don't
>think it accurately reflects the way most zoological taxonomists think
>about what they do.  My impression is that very few would say there is a
>single "captain" and even fewer would say they are on the same ship as
>other taxonomists.

Actually, agreeing to sail on the same ocean would be a good start... :)

>Optimistically, I think we are moving in the right direction, although
>our progress is slow.  We seem very reluctant to give up our mirror
>dinghies and board the Queen Mary.

yep...   there is something romantic about the old days of four-masters in
full sail...  biological collections and taxonomy still appear that way
when what we need is a nuclear powered/armed  and strategically targeted
battle cruiser.

jim

~ Jim Croft ~ jrc at anbg.gov.au ~ 02-62465500 ~ www.anbg.gov.au/jrc/ ~