hyphenated names

Adolf Ceska aceska at TELUS.NET
Mon Oct 27 18:54:04 CST 2003

The International Code of Botanical Nomenclature says:

Art. 21.1 ... If an epithet consists of two or more words, these are to be
united or hyphenated. An epithet not so joined when originally published is
not to be rejected but, when used, is to be united or hyphenated, as
specified in Art. 60.9.

60.9. The use of a hyphen in a compound epithet is treated as an error to be
corrected by deletion of the hyphen, unless the epithet is formed of words
that usually stand independently or the letters before and after the hyphen
are the same, when a hyphen is permitted (see Art. 23.1 and 23.3).

Ex. 16. Hyphen to be omitted: Acer pseudoplatanus L. (1753), not A.
"pseudo-platanus"; Eugenia costaricensis O. Berg, not E. "costa-ricensis";
Ficus neoëbudarum Summerh. (1932), not F. "neo-ebudarum"; Lycoperdon
atropurpureum Vittad. (1842), not L. "atro-purpureum"; Croton
ciliatoglandulifer Ortega (1797), not C. "ciliato-glandulifer"; Scirpus
sect. Pseudoëriophorum Jurtzev (in Bjull. Moskovsk. Obšc. Isp. Prir., Otd.
Biol. 70(1): 132. 1965), not S. sect. "Pseudo-eriophorum".

Ex. 17. Hyphen to be maintained: Aster novae-angliae L. (1753), Coix
lacryma-jobi L. (1753), Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. (1825),
Veronica anagallis-aquatica L. (1753; Art. 23.3), Athyrium
austro-occidentale Ching (1986).

Note 2. Art. 60.9 refers only to epithets (in combinations), not to names of
genera or taxa in higher ranks; a generic name published with a hyphen can
be changed only by conservation (Art. 14.11).

Ex. 18. Pseudo-salvinia Piton (1940) may not be changed to "Pseudosalvinia";
"Pseudo-elephantopus" was changed by conservation to Pseudelephantopus Rohr
(1792).

Applying these rules, Dictyostelium aureo-stipes should be Dictyostelium
aureostipes.

Adolf Ceska, Victoria, BC, Canada
BEN archive: http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/ben/
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you think it will take,
even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law."