hyphenated names

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Tue Oct 28 16:35:02 CST 2003

Oh my. I believe this is not correct: if I read it rightly the ICBN also
demands suppressing the hyphen. I was hoping to avoid this, because my Latin
is rusty.

Art 60.9 states "... words that usually stand alone ..."
Note that this is not "... can normally stand alone ..."

Rec 60G.1.b starts:
"In a pseudocompound, a noun or adjective in a non-final position appears as
a word with a case ending, not as a modified stem. Examples are:  nidus-avis
(nest of bird),  Myos-otis (ear of mouse),  albo-marginatus (margined with
white), etc. In epithets where tingeing is expressed, the modifying initial
colour often is in the ablative because the preposition  e, ex, is implicit,
e.g.,  atropurpureus (blackish purple) from  ex atro purpureus (purple
tinged with black). "

with "hyphens ... solely for explanatory reasons."

If it is 'albomarginatus' and 'atropurpureus' then why not 'aureostipes'
(without a hyphen)?

Paul van Rijckevorsel
Utrecht, NL