hyphenated names

Michael Schmitt m.schmitt at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Oct 28 17:08:52 CST 2003

Dear colleagues,

At 16:35 28.10.03, Paul van Rijckevorsel wrote:
>Oh my. I believe this is not correct: if I read it rightly the ICBN also
>demands suppressing the hyphen. ....

>Art 60.9 states "... words that usually stand alone ..."
>Note that this is not "... can normally stand alone ..."
>
>If it is 'albomarginatus' and 'atropurpureus' then why not 'aureostipes'
>(without a hyphen)?

I agree completely that your argument is consistent. I just read Example 17
(hyphens to be maintained) "austro-occidentale" and formed "aureo-stipes"
accordingly. If the hyphen is to be suppressed under both codes, the better.

                         Greetings
                          Michael

* Prof.Dr. Michael Schmitt (Zoologischer Anzeiger, Managing     *
* Editor; Bonner zoologische Beitraege, Editor-in-Chief)        *
* Zoologisches Forschungsinstitut und Museum Alexander Koenig   *
* Adenauerallee 160, D-53113 Bonn, Germany                      *
* Phone/Fax: +49 228-9122 286, e-mail: m.schmitt at uni-bonn.de    *
* http://www.museumkoenig.uni-bonn.de/mit/dnavmit.htm           *
* Please note: Symposium on African Biodiversity, May 2-6, 2004 *
* http://www.museumkoenig.uni-bonn.de/for/dforkon.htm           *